J. F. Drake State Technical College became involved in campus-wide volunteerism through the Huntsville/Madison County Volunteer Center’s Corporate Neighbor community relations program in 1994. Drake and other local community conscious companies comprise the Corporate Neighbor Council, which promotes the coordination of employee volunteer programs. Drake's students benefit by having a chance to volunteer and network with Corporate Neighbor Council employees from such companies as Accenture, Aegis Technology Group, Inc., Arcata Associates, BAE Systems, Belzon, Inc., The Boeing Company, Computer Sciences Corporation, DESE Research, Dynetics, First Commercial Bank, General Dynamics, Intergraph, International Diesel of Alabama, Lockheed Martin, Northrup Grumman, Redstone Federal Credit Union, Summa Technologies, Inc., Super Target, Teledyne Brown Engineering, Toyota Motor Manufacturing, United Space Alliance, US Space & Rocket Center, and Virginia College.
Drake employees and students can volunteer for one-time, short-term, or long-term projects. Several departments at Drake have established volunteer projects specifically for their students. These specific volunteer projects enable their students to utilize their technical skills and help the community simultaneously. The following department specific projects have been coordinated:
- Accounting Technology - Accounting students served as volunteer tax preparers through the Volunteer Tax Assistance Program (VITA). VITA is designed to help low and moderate income taxpayers file their federal and state taxes
- Automotive Mechanics Technology - Automotive students are volunteering their technical skills to help restore antique cars at the Huntsville Depot Museum.
- Air Conditioning & Heating - Students in this program participate in the Annual CASA (Care Assurance System for the Aging and Homebound (CASA) Temp$ (Taking Energy Measures Personally=Savings!) Weatherization Day.
- Computer Information Systems - Drake's students are utilizing their skills to provide maintenance for the computer department at the Family Services Center.
- Practical Nursing - This department coordinates on-campus blood drives for the American Red Cross.
- Office Administration Technology - Many students volunteer their office skills to area non-profit organizations.
For more information regarding the Vol-A-Techs volunteer organization, please contact Lisa Burton, Public Relations Director, @ 256-551-3136 or firstname.lastname@example.org.