Take Required Placement Test
The COMPASS placement test is required of all new degree-seeking or vocational/occupational applicants and any transfer student who has not been awarded an Associate degree or higher.
The following applicants are exempt from the assessment requirements:
- any student scoring 480 or above on the SAT verbal and 526 or above on the SAT math, or 20 or above on the ACT English and math who enroll in a System college within three years of high school graduation;
- students who have an associate degree or higher,
- students who transfer degree-creditable college-level English or mathematics courses with a grade of C or better;
- senior citizens, undeclared, and other non-award seeking majors who are taking classes for vocational reasons only;
- students in certain short certificate programs having no English or mathematics requirements;
- students who have completed required developmental course work at another Alabama College System institution within the last three years;
- audit students;
- students who can provide documentation of assessment (COMPASS OR ASSET) within the last three years;
- transient students
- dually enrolled high school students in English or math may be exempt from the assessment requirements
These exemptions do not apply to LPN applicants or to students who must take the “Ability to Benefit” test.
The next step is to verify admission to the college.