S.C. O'Neal Library and Technology Center
Mission and Goals
The mission of the S. C. O’Neal Sr. Library and Technology Center is to provide comprehensive and innovative information services to support scholarship, learning, and the instructional programs offered by J. F. Drake State Community and Technical College. The library supports the administration, faculty, staff, students, and community clientele by employing traditional resources and current technology to facilitate access to information. The library also provides state-of-the-art hardware and software programs, the instruction and training needed to use the equipment and services effectively: emerging technologies in order to promote currency and the model for information/technology needs of the College.
The S. C. O’Neal Sr. Library and Technology Center goals are as follows:
- To support the mission of the college.
- To create a wholesome learning environment through the use of a variety of materials, electronic resources, equipment, and services.
- To provide a collection of resources that meets the needs of all instructional programs.
- To address the needs of students, faculty, and staff and community clientele.
- To increase the appreciation for the availability of library services and to increase the use of the facilities.
Located at the front of the J. F. Drake State Community and Technical College campus, facing the Meridian Street entrance, the library occupies the first and second floors of the S.C. O’Neal Sr. Library and Technology Center building. There are two computer labs for patron use: one on the first floor and one on the second floor. Additionally, there are two classrooms, two group study rooms, a conference room and a lecture hall located within the library for use by the Drake State community.
The library’s collection consists of over 21,000 volumes, over 150 periodical subscriptions and access to electronic databases through the Alabama Virtual Library and ProQuest. A variety of services are available including reference assistance and library instruction.